If you are planning your next “me day,” consider visiting a day spa Oklahoma City. These locations offer many relaxing and rejuvenating services, like massages and pedicures. Some also provide hair removal services, including sugaring.
Sugaring is a form of hair removal that involves quickly pulling hair from its roots. This method can be used on various parts of the body, including faces, underarms, legs, and the bikini area. Some Broken Bow spas can even sugar your entire body during one visit!
What Does Sugaring Involve?
The sugaring process is similar to waxing, but there are key differences. Instead of using heated wax or prepared wax strips, a technician will use a sugaring paste. This paste is made of water, lemon, and sugar, which is heated and mixed until it reaches a candy-like texture and consistency.
After the sugaring paste cools, it is applied against the direction of hair growth. The paste will only stick to your hair, so when quick and small pulls are used to remove it in the direction of growth, it should not irritate your skin. The only skin cells that the paste may stick to are the dead cells on the surface; as such, sugaring can also provide light exfoliation.
How Long Will the Results Last?
Everyone has different hair growth patterns, so the longevity of the results will depend on how fast your hair grows and its thickness. After your first sugaring appointment at a Broken Bow spa, the results will last around three weeks. If you regularly have your hair sugared, it can help it grow back softer and thinner, and future results may last longer.
What to Know About Sugaring Appointments
Before Your Visit to a Day Spa Oklahoma City
For the best results, there are a few things you can do in the days leading up to your sugaring appointment. Take a break from shaving before your spa visit; your hair needs to be at least ¼ inch long (preferably, it should stay shorter than ¾ inch). A few days before the appointment, lightly exfoliate your body to get some dead skin cells out of the way.
On the day of your appointment, wear loose-fitting clothes for maximum comfort. To help you enjoy body harmony in Oklahoma, you may want to minimize your alcohol and caffeine intake, as these could tighten your pores and make the hair removal process more painful.
There are a few more things to consider before you schedule your sugaring appointment:
- If your skin is sunburned, scratched, or otherwise damaged, it is best to wait until you are fully healed before having the area sugared.
- If your skin is naturally sensitive or a medication/condition has increased sensitivity, the paste could lead to bumps or a light rash.
- Consider asking your doctor if sugaring is a good choice for you if you take antibiotics, retinoids, hormonal birth control, or are pregnant.
During Your Sugaring Appointment
Once you arrive at the day spa Oklahoma City and complete any paperwork, a technician will take you to a relaxing and comfortable area to be sugared. From there:
- You will undress. Depending on the area being sugared, this may involve something as simple as taking off a jacket. In other cases, you may undress partially or fully.
- The technician will cleanse the area before applying a powder that helps your hairs stand out.
- The technician will apply the sugaring paste against the grain of hair growth. They will then lightly tug the paste off in the direction of hair growth.
- Hydrating and soothing products will be applied, leaving your skin feeling smooth and rejuvenated.
After Your Sugaring at Our Broken Bow Spa
As with any method of hair removal, your skin may become red or itchy after the appointment. You can do a few easy things to prevent irritation; for example, you should avoid direct sunlight and activities that cause sweating for at least 24 hours. Additionally, do not shave or otherwise remove stray hairs that were missed. If you do become tender where you were sugared, a cool compress or hydrocortisone cream can help.
Enjoy Body Harmony in Oklahoma
If you are interested in sugaring services in the Broken Bow area, contact A Servant’s Hands Massage Therapy. Our experienced team offers a range of relaxing and rejuvenating services at our spa in Smithville.